What is IT & OT convergence and why should we carry it out in our company? Information technology and operational technology are two different concepts which, when combined, achieve the best result. If it was already a challenge for many companies before, in these times of change and reinvention this convergence is more necessary than ever. Are you ready to discover its benefits?
The union of IT & OT
Information technologies apply telecommunication equipment such as computers to process data. In contrast, operational technologies monitor processes and devices to adjust business activities and to achieve maximum efficiency. Are the priorities of these two types of technology different? IT seeks to analyze data in order to make effective decisions and OT prioritizes the quality of processes. Why combine them then? So that all devices and machines can communicate in an encrypted manner and thus ensure the privacy of data transmission. But if there is one clear objective in the convergence of IT & OT it is to increase efficiency. These are some of its benefits:
- Optimisation of operational efficiency: What are the most economical and effective hours for energy consumption? Collecting this type of data will provide us with very valuable information and will mean a reduction in costs. In addition, any person will be able to connect to obtain the data or generate changes in a device, regardless of the geographical distance.
- Increased visibility in the markets. The advantages of IT & OT convergence are not only at the level of production efficiency, since the commercial and logistic process and thus sales are also improved.
- Precise quality control. This is one of the objectives of the operational technologies, but by adding the information technologies, the speed and precision increase in the processes that are carried out. And not only at the level of results. What about the maintenance of machines and devices? With the convergence of IT & OT, breakdowns and error possibilities are reduced.
- Channel diversification: by keeping devices and machines connected, we can analyze data as a whole and not in isolation, so production can be maximized for maximum performance.
- Cost reduction. If there is one thing that encompasses all of the above advantages, it is cost savings. With IT & OT convergence you can even go one step further and match customer demand to production, which means huge cost savings.
And how to integrate these two technologies? The MES (Manufacturing Execution System) is a tool that connects production (IT) with the operation of any plant (OT), so it can be a very interesting option for the convergence of IT & OT.
Now, more than ever, is the time to make decisions that help companies reinvent themselves and optimize processes, making IT & OT convergence an essential challenge for any company.
It is not surprising that IT profiles have been in great demand and have become a key part of equipment. More and more companies need to incorporate digital professionals to help them develop their business and adapt solutions such as IT & OT convergence. How is your company facing this situation? Are you prepared for these changes?